Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Thank God For...

We made it back home and Killian is doing well. His blood counts are what they were anticipated to be. The lowered white blood cell count means the usual chemo rigamarole – no sushi, no unpasteurized dairy, no being around sick people, wash hands constantly, no swimming in fresh water… “WHAT!%$*#??? It’s August! I can’t go to the swimming hole?” No swimming hole and hot, chlorinated swimming pools are carcinogenic – all I can say is thank god for Dusty’s pool. Dusty is one of the funniest, warmest, and most steadfast persons to walk this earth. She also happens to have a saltwater pool and has invited Killian to swim any time.

Dusty brought me chicken soup without asking what I needed. She just knew. Neighbor KT picks up Cally for sleepovers when I or Phil look worse for wear, without telling us we look worse for wear. Neighbor Sharon gets me out walking and makes deep small talk. That’s an art that only the most considerate perfect. Another thing I can say is, thank god for neighbors. While I’m thanking god, I want to extend thanks to those with whom I’m more familiar than god. Sometimes it’s easy to overlook the familiar. I forgot to thank Susie, Sharon and Sarah for what they did for the benefit concert in July. Thank you Susie, Sarah, and Sharon. – you are inspiring goddesses all. In my mad dash to get acknowledgements out before leaving for the NIH, I’m wondering about others I forgot to thank. I hope I’ll remember soon. If not, I hope the unthanked don’t feel what they did was thankless. I’m profoundly grateful, and blessed to be living in a state of gratitude. Living in gratitude is, in itself a gift. Gratitude keeps bitterness from eating away the soul. Gratitude keeps me from drowning in self-pity. Gratitude is an opportunity to feel connected to others, to the earth. Gratitude is the path to forgiveness and peace. Gratitude might could save us all.

P.S. Phil tried to tell that "might could" was a typo. Actually, it's a southernism that emphasizes the perpetual and undirected motion of non-commitment.

No comments: