Sunday, August 17, 2008

Yondelis #2

Killian received an increased dose of Yondelis, and is tolerating it beautifully. He's not had a lick of nausea and is eating, as Mary Manfield aptly described, "like he's got a hollow leg." He and I are traveling while he's on that charming, ball-busting steroid. He goes off the 'roid tonight. I had to do a subcutaneous shot for the first time in four years (the last time he had cytotoxic chemotherpy). He said I did as good as any nurse. I can't help but wonder if he just said that to make me feel better. He says I can't hide when I'm nervous, which must be quite annoying for him because I feel nervous a lot these days. The shot I gave him boosts his white cell count, and will keep his blood levels where they should be so we can continue traveling. We're headed to Maine. I've had a standing invite from the Dunigan clan to visit their house in Maine since I was a little older than Killian. Yet, I've never been there. Killian has been four times and insisted I go this time. I'm going to study the relaxed people and act as if.

At some point, all this Maryland-to-wherever traveling should break me of the spacey, disorganized travel head I'm in. I demonstrated some ridiculous leadership on our trip down to NIH -- including missing a connecting flight! Though I was perfectly aware that I was flying, I proceeded to bring large bottles of shampoo and toothpaste in our bag. Killian and I had a discussion about how the whole no-liquids-on-planes thing came about. To the best of my recollection, someone blew up a train in England with combustible liquids they secreted aboard
-- something everday, like peroxide and acetone. Well, you can still bring liquids of all sorts and sizes on trains. Who cares about trains? If a train blows up, at least it won't fall on a bunch of people. Those Transportation Saftey folks sure did learn their lesson about planes though, whereby they dictated that containers of liquids could not exceed 3 ounces. Does anyone really feel safer because of this? I can't be the only person to whom it has occured that combustibles are not the only way one could do serious damage on a plane. What about mixing together a few 3 oz. containers of stable, everyday liquids like bleach and ammonia for some poison gas? I think I'm starting to sound like I'm drafting some kooky manifesto. I just want my toothpaste back -- that Arm & Hammer Age Defying toothpaste is hard to get.

No comments: