Monday, October 13, 2008

Worry Dollhouse

Killian, Cally and I watched Jesus Christ Superstar (the 70's version) this Sat. (Oct. 11). Cally noted repeatedly how "hippie" the cast was. Killian liked the music a lot, but thought the story was not well sussed out. When he found out that the recording preceded the show, it all made sense to him. I can't believe I ever liked the singing the Mary Magdalen actor did in the movie. All that scooping of notes -- yeech!! She was awful. Cally had lots of questions: "... I think I understand -- Judas was Jesus' BFF, right?" We clarified that the focus of this particular musical was Judas. Cally is very focused on BFFs right now. She says that Lucia is her BFF, but Lucia is a couple of years older. I can see that she feels a lack of connection with the peers within her current social circles. I'm sad about this and uncertain what to do. 

Killian's BFF, Kira, has been such an important, healing part of his life... I look back on their exchanges and sometimes only realize in retrospect how profound they are. I was cleaning Killian's room after the last hospitalization and found a Worry Doll house she made for him. When she first gave it to him, I was just thinking it was cute as heck. Last night, Killian was worried about a new lump he's feeling. We hugged for a long time. I suggested that he's been so good about putting worry away and that we won't know anything until Thursday or Friday and to put it where he always puts it. Today, I realize what the dollhouse is all about. When hope is strained, compartmentalization is critical.

No comments: