Thursday, December 18, 2008

Eat, Eat...

Killian and I were treated to dinner (and take home) again by Candle Cafe owners Joy and Bart. It was the most I've seen Killian eat in a week. If you're ever in NYC and want to taste the best vegan food you will ever put in your mouth - stop by Candle Cafe or their other restaurant, Candle 79 on the East side. Joy and Killian have a plan to do a children's cookbook -- Phil to photograph.

Killian's nutrition is, again, a priority. He's lost about 10 pounds, continues to grow, and started out lean in the first place. He's at greater risk of infection, and debilitating fatigue and blah, blah, blah... He's so sick of hearing about it. I remember so many conversations with cancer caretakers going the same way -- "he/she won't eat.... I don't know what to do." The exasperation, the futility... Sometimes you have to push nutrition. Killian's had feeding tubes before. Twice. I don't know if we push or let go. I don't ask this because I want an answer or advice. It's a search and there's no map. I mean to say there's no map we want to follow.

He started to have a little pain in the area being radiated. Normal, we're told, after three/four treatments. The pain is addressed by dealing with the inflamation. We'll start with Ibuprofen (rather than increasing his narcotics).

Tonight is Callys' first concert. I never missed one of Killian's concerts. I cried every time I saw one, starting with his first at age 4. This prompted him at some point to declare, "only women cry from joy." Cally is a very good musician. She has in incredible sense of rhythm and an uncanny ability to rip out arpeggios. Phil will get it for me on video. I will cry.

1 comment:

Marghie said...

Babs you are constantly in my thoughts. I havent commented much because there Just aren't any word I can think of that seem adequate. I am constanly amazed at your ability to keep fighting and Killian has become my hero. I am so impressed with his insight and courage.
Marghie