Monday, February 16, 2009

Back to Normal

Killian had a week of vitality we haven’t seen since I started the blog last summer. He pressed ahead with many of his studies, following a skippy return to school. Wednesday, he phoned from school to tell me he would be playing a concert that evening with the Chamber ensemble (if you have Flash software, you can see the performance via this link http://www.totalwebcasting.com/live/ulster/ ). I wondered how this was possible, given that he hadn’t rehearsed with the chamber group in 2 months. Turned out Winnie picked a couple of songs they’d done together before. Don’t know if this was by design or not, but thanks again Winnie! Then, Friday he played a gig in Margaretville with a band comprised of musicians his age – didn’t get home until 1:30. Then, he stayed out with friends Saturday – didn’t get home until 1:30 again (party animal). Sunday, I get a call from Ellie saying he was in church in Saturday night as well. He was out and about so much this week, that though I had no idea he went to church, it didn't surprise me. He was doing, doing, doing. This is all wonderful, and, honestly, a little unsettling (Phil's word, but I couldn't agree more). Phil and I are trying to stuff the nagging “What next?” in our heads in a little paper bag and save it for when Killian’s hungry for that brown bag lunch. The mantra is "be here now,” because that’s Killian’s lead. But, seeing him so strong, feeling so good – we want back in the fight! We take a deep breath. We are grateful. We are here. We head back into NYC tomorrow to consult with Dr. Harrison and Dr. Granowetter about “what next.” Killian will guide us.

My friend Don (thanks, again, for dinner Don!) says I blog on Tuesdays. Damned if it doesn't look like I mostly do. An organic schedule, I assure you, as I'm NOT organized in that way. That said, I WILL update the blog after our visit to the City tomorrow.

No comments: