Saturday, May 9, 2009

Happy Mothers' Day

Killian wasn't quite up to the ukulele lesson today. He did go out and see his friends' band (named "Tell Him I'm Ugly" -- VERY funny name, right?). Cally went with Phil (and the Girl Scouts) to see the circus. I stayed around in the house in an unshakable funk. I'm having an issue with Mother's Day this year. I don't have anything against its commercial inception, n0r is it an annual let down. Mom's Day is usually a bit of fun for me. This year, I just feel like I resent the whole idea. I reckon that makes it a good time to get out of self reflection.

Here's to my mom--I would not be me with any other mother (so, thanks and a very happy Mother's Day to you). I want to recognize the loss of the grand dame of the North and the grand dame of the South. Here's to Phil's grandmother and my grandmother who both passed away this year. We could attend neither funerals nor memorial services for either moms of moms, but we feel the firm foundation of their blended dynasties guiding us. Here's to Phil's mom. Marlene would be pleased with her daughter's growth and would bask in the joy of her engagement. Here's to all the other inspirational moms I know and look to daily for guidance. Have a great day.

No comments: