Friday, January 23, 2009

Six String Uke

John Pizzarelli visited Killian - arranged through Hole in the Wall Gang Camp, but more through John, who actually really checks in to see how campers are doing. When he called to arrange a time at McDonald House to see Killian, I mentioned Killian's obsession with ukulele. John said he would bring a rare six string uke. Killian was thrilled that he was coming to visit. We'd just listened to "Rhode Island" on the radio. He was skeptical about "this six string uke..." "I think he might have meant an octave guitar or something. You sure he said that mom? A six string uke: it's a guitar if it has six strings..." John was charming. And, it proved to be a ukulele after all. Two of the strings have double strings. The lowest note is doubled by the octave above, and the highest string is similarly doubled. Killian says, "it gives it more ooomph." John loaned him the instrument. I can't believe he did, but he did. Since then, Killian has not put it down. "Pinball Wizard" sound particularly amazing on it!

John was telling us about a tour he was doing next week, and said that the first leg began in Wilmington, NC. I told him that I would be down there around that time. Killian got really excited about the idea of going... I contacted Dr. G. It's a tough call, but clearly mine and Phil's to make. Anything and everything could happen. However, he hasn't had bleeding or pain crises in a while. I have all the drugs any emergency room would have to deal with pain and bleeding. Whatever....with Phil's support, I'm taking Killian and Moses down to NC. It'll be a quick down and up, as I don't want him to be far from his hospital for too long. My mother will be visiting up here, so she can help drive down. We'll stop briefly by the farm and then head down to Wilmington. Quite the adventure. 

1 comment:

Unknown said...

How exciting! I hope you and Killian (and your mom) have a fabulous trip.